Two minutes. That's how many minutes late we were to get into the USS Midway Museum free. Of course, that's how late we were after having walked 45 minutes (2.5 miles!) from our Hillcrest apartment to the downtown museum (have I mentioned we hate finding parking?).
This afternoon was advertised as free admission to the USS Midway Museum, a museum that usually has an $18 admission fee, due to the commemoration of the centennial planting of the D.C. cherry blossoms and the planting of a couple dozen trees in San Diego. Free admission started at 1pm, and with the last admission being at 4pm, I made sure to get home from work in time to make the journey downtown. The walk wasn't bad, but it was with the hope and excitement of seeing this new part of San Diego and amazing history. As we were walking up to the Midway, Eric looked at his clock and it was 3:28pm. By the time we got to the ticket counter, it was 3:31pm. To say the least, we were quite astounded when the ticket man told us that free admission had ended at 3:30pm. What?!
It was definitely not advertised as having an ending time of 3:30pm, and with last admission being at 4:00pm, it seemed awfully strange (and wrong) to start charging normal admission prices for the last half hour. Eric had me (since I'm the pregnant, more pitiful looking one) try to talk two different workers into letting us still get free admission, but they wouldn't budge. It was quite remarkable, and a huge disappointment, especially since we had an hour walk to get back home.
Luckily, Seaport Village was just a five minute walk down the harbor, so we settled for spending a few minutes there before heading back to Hillcrest. A very enjoyable place, but not what we came for, and certainly not what we walked 2.5 miles to get to.




3 comments:
That stinks! The same thing happened to us once at the botanic gardens. We went on the free day, but it turned out that that particular free day was ending at 4:00 for a "members only" event. We got there at, seriously 4:01 and they wouldn't let us in. So I'd hauled my whiny brood all the way up there only to get turned away at the door. Such a bummer. I'm glad there was something else nearby for you to do.
I'm sorry! That really stinks! I sure hope it was a nice walk!
That's horrible!! That would have been so cool to see, too.
Post a Comment