I have a huge pile of books that I have been working my way through. I felt like I knew nothing about being pregnant (except for the nutrition part of it) and labor so I raided the library and having been renewing them as much as allowed. Since we are planning a natural birth at a birthing center I want to be as much prepared as possible and to know what to expect, relaxation techniques, positions for labor, etc. My favorites so far have been Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Birth Partner. The Birth Partner was great since it was a very simple straightforward explanation on everything which was a good starting place for me.
I still have lots to read - I haven't even started studying up on breastfeeding! But I am feeling increasingly comfortable and excited. I love how Ina May emphasizes that fear is not what we should have going into birth as this will only increase the pain we feel. I need to be confident that my body was made for this and that I can do it!
2 comments:
LOVE The Birth Partner (made Patrick read it too) and Ina May's Guide. She also has a guide to breastfeeding that I like. I also really like The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman. Your Amazing Newborn is also a fun and quick read that explains a lot of newborn reflexes and behavior.
It's good to know what you are in for! Don't get too set on anything though...bringing children into this world is full of surprises:)
Post a Comment