Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Baby quilt and another great find

I made a very ambitious goal to make a baby quilt for our little girl.  I wish sometimes that I were more crafty but I really am not.  Things like this take me forever.  And with our limited budget we couldn't afford to get all the nice supplies to make it easier.  So I went at it with my pair of sewing scissors, measuring tape, sewing machine, and cutting board that I got at an estate sale a couple summers ago.  Many hours later, I have finished the top! And, more surprisingly, it actually worked!




The part of making the quilt that I have dreaded the most is the actual quilting part which I planned to attempt with my plain old sewing machine. We weren't about to shell out the money for the special 'walking foot' attachment that would have made this an actually reasonable ambition. Then my amazing husband found and got me one from Freecycle over the weekend!  It couldn't have been more perfect timing!  It is an old, vintage one, but it fits my machine.  I am super excited about this and really hope it will make up for my non-existent quilting skills.  One can dream, right?


7 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow, it looks great Kiersten! I love going to the fabric store and I imagine it's so much fun buying girly things! And that is so awesome Eric found the right foot attachment...way to go!

Ryan said...

Ha, Ryan didn't leave the comment. It was Cherisse. :)

Jessica said...

Looks like it turned out great! Good job!

Jessica said...

J/k, I guess you haven't quite finished...but it's looking good so far and I'm sure the finished product will too. :)

Lindsay said...

It's looking really, really great! Way to go! And that's awesome you found a (free!) walking foot! I quilted mine with just the regular presser foot and it worked okay, but I was only quilting straight lines. Will a walking foot allow you to do more complex stuff? You'll have to let me know how it goes. Good luck finishing it up!

Tamara said...

I love the quilt! It looks so pretty. That's exciting you were able to get the presser foot that you need to make the job a lot easier.

Kimberly said...

Good job! It looks amazing so far! And that's so awesome that Eric got the walking foot off freecycle! I love that group! Quilting is one thing that, no matter how craft I get, I don't think I will ever do much of. So, props to you! And it looks like you have a nice, big cutting board! Awesome!