Its been an interesting morning. It all started early when I was running. I was only about a mile from home and noticed a little fawn stuck between two iron railings in a fence. I almost didn't see her, it was still mostly dark. I went closer to see if I could help her. Poor little thing was so scared, and when I got closer she just flailed those little legs like crazy. Her mamma was on the other side of the fence, worried sick I'm sure. I didn't think I could get her out on my own so I quickly ran home to get Eric.
We went back, with a container of Crisco (it was the only idea I had!). Eric was very dubious as to the helpfulness of Crisco, but anyone who has ever gotten a part of themselves stuck in a dining room chair knows how great it is. Unfortunately, we realized that it wouldn't help our little friend. She was stuck even worse and on her sides she had been rubbed raw with her struggling so hard. It broke my heart to look at her. We had no idea how to get her out. I had to get Eric to work though, so we had to leave. I stopped by a vet on my way home to see if they could help. The nice lady let me in even though they weren't really open yet. She gave me a number to call, the San Antonio Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation.
When I got home, Eric's mom had already found that number online and called and left a message. After what seemed like forever, they called back, got the information,and said they would send a volunteer. We went and met the volunteer up there. Two other volunteers had already beat us there and got the little guy out. They told us that this actually happens a lot and what you have to do is grab the front and back legs, stretch the deer out long and thin, and then they will be able to slip right out. The poor little guy was apparantly so scared and disoriented that she ran in circles, confused,and then almost got stuck again in another fence before getting through and running up the hill.
I was so relieved that she was okay. While we were waiting for the Rescue place to call us back, I was sitting there trying to study and I couldn't stop thinking about her just lying there stuck- frightened, scared, and hurt. And we were just sitting comfortable at home. And she was there for almost three hours at least- from when I first saw her to when she got out. I just wish I could have known what to do to get her out so she didn't have to go through that. So simple too, you'd think I'd be able to logically think to stretch her out and pull her out. I felt so hopeless though. I wanted to help but didn't know how.
I am just so glad she is free. I hope she finds her mamma again.
3 comments:
Poor deer! I'm in spiritual mode right now, so I'm thinking of all sorts of analogies I could pull from this. We are the deer and don't always know how to get ourselves unstuck. Or, we are the onlookers sometimes who don't know how to help those around us as they struggle. Hmmm...well, sounds like you did the right thing though! Find the people who do know how to help!
What a morning indeed! And what a good Samaritan you are!
How nice of you! You are a saint for helping that poor deer. You go GIRL!
Post a Comment