Friday, July 9, 2010

Baking cookies with Neil

Neil been my buddy the last week while his parents were gone. I think he is finally warmed up to me! Before his mom left he wouldn't even go for a walk with me. He sat on the grass and refused to go. Well, that is until we bribed him with fruit snacks... Food is definitely the way to Neil's heart. There is not a day that passes that he will not ask for ice cream before going to bed. Not that he will always get it, but you can bet that if you say it is time for bed he will look at you reproachfully and say, "Da da." (his word for ice cream). Well, Neil and I had a blast yesterday baking up a storm. We ground some wheat, and then made homemade bread and rolls and chocolate chip cookies with our fresh whole wheat flour.

I thought Neil looked adorable in his apron so I had to take some pictures!



I also wanted to share this amazing chocolate chip recipe. I got it from my sister Ruth, who got it from someone at her husband's work. Where ever it came from, these cookies are super good.


Behr Cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1 lb (4 sticks) butter -(not margarine- it makes a big difference!)
3 eggs
2 T vanilla
6 cups flour**
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 bags chocolate chips (I use less here too- about 1/2 a bag for a third of the recipe) but put in what you like!

Directions:
In large bowl mix together sugar, brown sugar, softened butter, eggs, and vanilla. In separate bowl mix together flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly combine flour mixture and into large bowl and mix until smooth. Add in chocolate chips. Set oven to 325 degrees and put cookie mixture in fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
Take mixture out of fridge and spoon in balls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 9-11 minutes until barely starting to brown on top. We like a soft cookie but if you like them crunchier cook longer.

**For the flour I substituted 1/3 whole wheat, 1/3 regular flour, and 1/3 oats. And I threw some PB in just because!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

These cookies are so good! And, I can tell that Neil thinks you are great. Thanks so much for taking good care of him while I was gone. It made my trip so much easier.

Lindsay said...

Those are some great pictures of Neil!