Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A wonderful man

Today we received the sad news of Eric's Grandpa Matthews passing. Although his health has been declining quite rapidly the last little while, it still came as a shock. After hearing the news, I started to look though some pictures we took when Eric and I went to visit his Grandma and Grandpa Matthews in Seattle last summer, and wanted to share some of them.



I was so excited to meet Eric's grandparents. I lost all four of my grandparents when I was young and the moment I met Grandma and Grandpa Matthews, I felt like I had grandparents again.

Some things I learned about Malcolm Matthews (grandpa) while I was there:

1. He loved planes. He worked for Boeing until retiring, but his passion for planes did not retire. One of the must-see places while in Seattle? The Museum of Flight. He had been there dozens of times but was quite ready and willing to go again.


2. He absolutely loved ice cream. Dairy Queen to be exact. He knew every Dairy Queen between Seattle and Provo. (a drive they would frequently make).

3. He had a wonderful sense of humor. Even though he seemed quiet, he could really make you laugh.


4. He had a special red hat he wore when the family would go on road trips. No ordinary hat would do, it had to be the red one.


5. He was amazingly talented with wood. His hobby was carpentry and he built numerous things over the years. My favorites that I have seen are some beautiful wooden Christmas tree ornaments.

Obviously, I didn't get the chance to know him as well as his family does, but meeting him and hearing stories about him, I could tell he was one amazing man. I know Eric has always looked up to his Grandpa and loves him.

We will miss you Grandpa.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Thanks for this. I am so glad that I was able to visit with him last week. Even though it was only for a day. Though it definitely doesn't take the pain away. It is a comfort to me. He was a good man. He will be greatly missed, but he will definitely be in the Celestial Kingdom waiting for us!