Sunday, February 16, 2014

Valentines Day 2014

Really, this post is just about the food we ate on Valentines. :) I love holidays, especially planning the food we will be having.

Eric was amazing and made me breakfast. He made a Chocolate Dutch Baby with fresh strawberries. It was great, a little too much like eating chocolate cake though so it probably won't make any sort of regular breakfast appearance at our house.  But it was sure yummy!  Abby, of course, thought it was amazing.

I was a little too ambitious this year with dinner - it really wiped me out.  I decided to put the pasta make that I got for Christmas to good use and made homemade ravioli.  Completely from scratch.  Who knew that ravioli would take about 4 hours (maybe more, I can't really remember) to make start to finish? It didn't help that I made a huge batch - didn't realize it would make that much...

Anyways, it was Beet Ravioli (red for Valentines Day) with a slightly different filling than in the recipe (goat cheese, as yummy as it would have been, was just too expensive).  So I settle for a ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan mixture that turned out great.  We had roasted asparagus on the side.

Yes, this is Abby's table.  Ours was covered with the rolled pasta that I didn't get around to actually finished the ravioli process on.  We ditched the chairs and sat on the floor.

Dessert was cheesecake.  The most successful cheesecake I've made up to this point.  It did take a lot longer to cook than the recipe said, though, and it probably should have cooked a little more.


It was all so yummy, but I don't know if I will ever make ravioli again.  I just don't know if it is worth it.

We were able to enjoy our evening without Abby, which was nice.  The Young Women from church were babysitting as a fundraiser for camp so we decided to help them out.  Good thing, since Abby was the only kid that showed up... Felt so bad for them!

1 comment:

Maren said...

Just had to say how impressed I am by you! That beet ravioli looks so yummy.