Sunday, July 8, 2012

One month




Dearest Abby,

One month. And we are all three still here. I think that is a pretty big accomplishment. You had a bit of a rough start; we all did.  But it makes your mamma so happy to know that you are healthy and growing now.

We were so excited for you to join our family, and having you actually here has been incredible. When you are calm and looking straight into my eyes, it fills me with amazement that you are my daughter.  I have loved this time we have had to get to know each other. You are a pretty calm baby, except when I try to feed you.  When you are fussy, your daddy is the one who can calm you right down.  I think you will be a daddy’s girl—you love your daddy.  You love to sit and snuggle with him and suck on his finger. And, when you aren’t eating, I think you like your mamma pretty good as well.

The hardest thing for me has been the difficulty we have had with feeding you.  It breaks my heart to hear you crying in frustration when you have a hard time getting anything. Today at church, we had probably the best nursing session ever.  You were so calm and quiet, and I didn’t even have to use that tube that you hate. I felt like we were finally having a bonding moment that I have been wanting. I hope we will get to the point where every time is like that.

I love all the sounds and funny grunts you make.  And all your little faces – so adorable. My favorites are watching you fall asleep and your mouth curls up in a half-smile, you lifting your eyebrows, pursing your mouth in a little ‘o’. I just love watching you.

My favorite moments with you are when you finish eating and fall asleep, content, on top of me. I never want to move you, and could sit there watching you for hours.

You definitely like being held. We have the hardest time setting you down.  Even when we think you are deep asleep, we set you down and you sure don’t last long. That makes nighttime a little difficult, we are still figuring out how to get you to stay in your pack-n-play (a.k.a. the place where you are supposed to sleep) for more than half an hour.

As difficult as this month has been for all of us, I wouldn’t exchange this time we have had together for anything. I feel so blessed to be your mother. We still have lots to learn and I am so excited for the months and years ahead. 

I love you little girl.

Love, your mom

Why we need to hire a professional photographer (a.k.a. what happens when Eric (daddy) is in charge of the posing).



Another Eric (daddy) idea.


4 comments:

Joyce said...

Happy one month! Very cute pictures ... but we'll have to work on Eric's poses!

Kimberly said...

Happy 1 month Abby! You are getting so big already! I'm excited you're doing letters too, Kiersten!

Tamara said...

wow! It's already been one month! I'm so happy that things are starting to go well. You guys are doing an awesome job!

Lindsay said...

I wish I could say that the 2nd month is world's easier, but in my experience it's not. BUT, it DOES get better -- slowly but surely. Hang in there -- you're doing great! That baby girl is lucky to have come to you two. Thanks for chatting the other day, too -- it was nice to catch up. :)