I had a horrible run today. At the same time, it was a humbling and teaching experience. Eric and I are still at my parent's home and today I woke up to find the winds had started. Now, if you haven't experienced the Santa Ana winds in California, and more so running in these winds, count yourself very lucky. My parents happen to live right where the winds are very strong. So that already meant the run would be difficult, but hey I am up for a challenge. But then I met the dogs. They came running out of an open gate of a house I had just passed, barking and growling and chasing me. It completely startled and scared me. (Especially after my dad being attacked by a pit bull not long ago when he was running in this same area and having to go to the hospital and get stitches!) But, I was able to shake them.
Then I decided it would be a good idea to come back the same way. I had taken a straight out, straight back east-west route so that I would not have to run against the wind which always blows south. I thought of running down to a different street and then back up to circumvent the block those dogs were on, but it really did not sound fun to run against that wind. So when I had almost returned to that same area, I armed myself with rocks, made sure I was on the opposite side of the street from where I had met them earlier and on the sidewalk instead of the road where I usually run. I thought, "maybe they won't see me, and if they do, I am ready for them. I can take them." So fully confident, I kept running.
I had my eye on the house I had seen them run from, and my rocks were ready. Nothing. I started to relax as I passed by. Then suddenly, I heard barking and growling coming from close by on my right side. They came running from behind the house I was next to, those sneaky guys! I had been watching the wrong side of the street and had taken myself right past them! As I suddenly turned to look at them, I lost my balance mid-run, tripped and went flying. I broke my fall with my hands and went sliding across the concrete. I was sure the dogs were going to jump on me while I was down. But they stopped and just looked at me. Once I stood up and was able to limp-run away, they came chasing again.
So much to learn from this. I knew I should have gone a different way. But no, I thought I could take care of myself and so went right back in their path. Going the safer way would have taken a little more effort but I would have saved myself a lot of pain and would not be sitting here all bandaged up.
No comments:
Post a Comment