I had training all of last week but today was my first day actually working. So I took the part-time job I interviewed for a few weeks back. I am working with the Center for Weight and Health, a research center at UC Berkeley. They have done tons of studies, all focused on preventing childhood obesity. So it's pretty exciting that I get to work with them! The study I will be helping with is an evaluation study for the Children's Power Play! campaign, which replaced 5-a-day in California a while back. For my part I go to schools, teach kids (4th and 5th graders) how to keep food diaries and measure what they eat, interview each kid individually the next day to discuss their diary (in some cases trying to salvage any sort of information from it), and survey them on their physical activity. Basically my part is trying to figure out if the program affects fruit/vegetable intake and physical activity.
Today was interesting. A little crazy. Made me really wonder whether you can get reliable data from some of these kids. Eric is taking program design and evaluation classes right now and tells me he has his doubts too. But these Berkeley people seem to know what they are doing so I will keep at it. Working with the kids is going to be a ton of fun though!
**By the way, for those who asked, I just posted the homemade yogurt directions on the Hinckley recipe blog**
No comments:
Post a Comment