I agree that this pyramid has its flaws, (though I wouldn't say it was horrible). Who looking at it would be able to explain what those different sections represent and how that is translated into a healthy diet? (The full, complete version does have these labeled but it is rarely used) One strength Mypyramid had though was definitely in the emphasis it placed on exercise and how that is an important component of a healthy lifestyle.
So what will the new pyramid look like? According to this New York Times article , it is going to be in the shape of a plate. I like this. Of the different international food guides, there were two (Mexico and England) that I really thought were good visually and both of these were also in the shape of a plate.
It sounds like the new US pyramid will be even better than these since it will have half the plate filled with fruits and veggies, emphasizing the importance of a diet higher in those food groups. This is what, as dietitians, we tell people to do already for a healthy diet and so it will be good to have the food guide reflect this.
I'm excited to see what it looks like! I will definitely post a picture once it is unveiled.



No comments:
Post a Comment