Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pregnancy update

I mentioned in my last pregnancy post about how I was again measuring really small, 32 weeks instead of 37.  I went in again this last Thursday, after spending the week drinking tons of water and eating lots of protein to see if we could get that measurement up.  Nope, didn't work.  My uterus measured 33 weeks instead of 38, so again 5 weeks under.  The midwife was really concerned, so scheduled me for a growth ultrasound the same day.

Eric came down from work to be at the ultrasound too, and we got another peek at our little girl.  Just like the other two ultrasounds we've had, she was not being photogenic at all so we didn't get any fun views of her.  But I guess that wasn't the point of this one.  So baby girl measured out at an average 36 weeks, which didn't seem so bad.  Until they said that the only reason she averaged 36 weeks was because she has super long legs.  Her other measurements were in the 33-34 week range.  They were particularly concerned with her abdomen measurement, which was 33.  I guess this is an important one for growth indicators. Looking at these specific measurements, she is right at the 10 %tile, which is borderline IUGR (intrauterine growth restricted).

Basically they are worried that she is not growing as well as she should be, that for some reason she is not getting all the nutrients she should.  The midwife told me she would consult with the other midwives and with my back-up doctor to see whether I would be able to continue care at the birth center.  I was devastated. Being able to birth naturally in the environment I choose is so important to me that it was so hard for me to realize that might not happen. Knowing that we needed to do whatever is best for baby did not make it any easier to hear.  She also said that if the doctor feels that her growth is being restricted enough, he might want to induce me to get her out and eating faster.  Again, something that is not at all part of what I wanted.  Eric was wondering why I was already tearing up when they hadn't even said that anything was for sure, but even the possibility was hard to hear.

I had to wait til Friday to hear back from the midwife. She said that after talking to the doctor, he wants me to come in so he can do an assessment.  In the meantime I need to have bi-weekly non-stress tests, drink lots of water, and rest a ton.  Apparently he wanted me on bed-rest, but the midwife said she didn't think that was necessary. And if I go into labor before meeting with the doctor I would still at least be starting at the birth center, they would just be consulting with the doctor.

So not terrible news yet, really nothing is decided yet.  Tomorrow we have our first non-stress test at the birth center, and then hopefully meet with the doctor before Wednesday.  I am currently 38 weeks 3 days, so maybe this little girl will just quickly come on her own.  

4 comments:

Maren said...

I'm sorry you've got this added stress. :/ I'll keep you and baby girl in my prayers. I hope everything goes well and you get to have her at the birthing center!

Kimberly said...

My mom just texted and told me that you were in the hospital. We're praying for you and baby girl! I can understand the stress of wanting to give birth how and where you want. I have been facing that a lot with this pregnancy since my insurance basically only gives me one option. But I will say that I am so grateful that I was in the hospital as I gave birth to Lydia. Because they were monitoring me and her so closely (and with so many uncomfortable cords, etc), she was able to arrive safely. If I had gone with the other option, there is a good chance that she may have died. So, while we think of ourselves during these times of labor, really it is much better to know that the baby will be safe. After all, that is the whole purpose of the 9 months of pregnancy and labor :). I hope it all comes out happy in the end :). Love you!

Jessica said...

Our thoughts and prayers for your family! I hope above all else that you will both be healthy and strong and be at peace with the way the birth unfolds!

Lindsay said...

In my experience, rarely does a birth go as you expect it to. But that doesn't mean it can't be a wonderful and positive experience. I really hope yours is, and that Baby Girl arrives healthy and well! Hang in there!