Sunday, June 24, 2012

An update

Two and a half weeks. It feels so much longer than that in so many ways.  I wish I could say it has been all wonderful. I expected it to be difficult to take care of a newborn, but it has been so much harder, and in ways I never imagined. Eric has been an absolute lifesaver to me every single day these couple of weeks.  If he hadn't been able to be around, I don't know what I would have done.

The birth itself was wonderful, except for the seven hours of pushing with no pain medications. I will post a detailed birth story soon, I just haven't had the energy to do it yet. I am so grateful that we were able to have Abigail at the birth center. It was once we came home that the problems started.  I just needed to let out my thoughts on it all - so please excuse the awfully long post.  It is mostly for me.

Breastfeeding was very painful.  Now, I knew from my classes and reading in preparation that it shouldn't hurt, though often it does.  So, I knew we were doing something wrong. I did my best, but it definitely didn't help that my mom who was staying and helping us kept saying, 'oh that's normal - that's how it should be.' And it also didn't help that the communication between the birth center and the lactation consultant who was supposed to do a home visit got messed up and we weren't visited until three days after the birth.  So I had already gone three days in a lot of pain without any help.  The consultant helped some with the latch and I tried working on it more the next couple of days.

But it just did not get better. It got to the point that I dreaded each feeding, and would often cry through them. On Wednesday (Day 6), I decided I needed more help.  We had looked up all the breastfeeding support groups in the area and I went to one.  When the consultant there asked me how I was doing, I almost burst into tears as I told her how hard it was, even though I thought the latch was so much better. She helped some more with that and then just from observing the feeding she told me she though Abigail was tongue-tied. So that night, we looked up and called more lactation consultants so that we could get a diagnosis.

The next morning I woke up with chills, a fever, very achy all over, and a very hard, swollen, and red breast.  I felt absolutely miserable.  As  I sat there, getting ready to feed Abigail, I just cried (again, I was doing that a lot).  I really didn't see how I could do this anymore. I can more easily understand how so many people give up breastfeeding - I honestly did not know if I could keep going.  This was definitely the low point for me.

 It was so hard to even get into the car to go visit the lactation consultant. She confirmed what I feared - I had mastitis, which was why I felt absolutely horrible. Then she had me lie down to get ready to feed so she could observe. She took one look at my nipples and said that there was no way she was going to let Abigail latch on to them, saying that they were some of the most damaged she had seen in a one weeker. (they were very cracked and bleeding). After checking Abigail, she said she definitely had a tongue tie which was what had caused all the pain and damage to me. It was a relief to at least know there was a reason why we just couldn't get it! She gave me a nipple shield and then put Abigail on. Oh my, it was like night and day, the difference with it on.  I didn't hurt!  It was amazing. I will be forever grateful to her.  After seeing her, I felt like I could see some light at the end of all this. I think visiting her was what kept me going.


Unfortunately, things did not get easier.  Abigail's tongue was clipped on Friday (turns out our pediatrician just happens to do the procedure - most don't). And the breast shields allowed me to heal. But the next 5 days were spent in bed, completely miserable as the mastitis took forever to get better. I finally started taking antibiotics 2 days in but they definitely did not kick in right away. I almost didn't make it to Eric's graduation that Sunday.  But I knew I just couldn't miss it.

On top of all this, my thoughts were constantly consumed with worrying that my little girl wasn't getting enough to eat. I could tell I didn't have as much milk as before all of this happened and she just wasn't seeming satisfied after feeding. Sure enough, we went to the pediatrician the next day and she had dropped back down to her low point.  She was born at 7lb 7.5 oz, had dropped to 6lb 11oz, and had gone back up to 7lb the week before.  At this visit she was back down to 6lb 11oz. And then the pediatrician said what I was fearing he would - we needed to get something in her. That meant supplementing with formula.

It was so hard for me to hear and accept that. I have always planned on breastfeeding, I know how beneficial it is and it has always been so important to me. Now I felt like a failure, knowing that for some reason, I wasn't making enough milk for my baby girl. So started the phase where we are now - trying to increase my milk supply. I am taking herbs that are supposed to help, and I am pumping at least 8 times a day between feeds, and then supplementing with whatever I am able to express along with formula during nursing sessions. I am using a supplemental nursing system which means she is breastfeeding and there is a tube that we feed into her mouth at the same time, giving her the supplement.  It would be so much easier to give her a bottle, but I really want to see if this will work.  Oh, I hope it does.

The good news is that Abigail is finally gaining weight and looks so much healthier. Her jaundice has disappeared and she is beautiful. If only we could get this feeding down! I feel like I will be able to enjoy all of this so much more once we do.

Here is our cute little jaundiced baby, the day before we started supplementing

Look at the amazing difference in her color! 

We just love this little girl.  Hopefully now that I am feeling better, we will be able to post pictures more frequently!



7 comments:

Jodi said...

Kiersten, I am so sorry this has been so hard! I really hope things get better fast.

Lindsay said...

Darn that first post-partum trimester! It is hard hard hard! It's almost impossible to imagine when you're in the thick of things that it will ever get better, but trust me, it does. I know supplementing is not what you wanted, but remember that formula does not equal failure. You do what you have to do for you baby, even if it's not your first choice. It sounds, though, like this is only a temporary measure, right? Hang in there. You are clearly doing your absolute best. You're in our thoughts and prayers!

Carissa and Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carissa and Jeff said...

I can relate! Dallin wasn't tongue tied but he was an awful breastfeeder and had scary weight issues because of it. Good for you to supplement! If I could go back in time...

Breastfeeding didn't work for us (tried for three very long months). And now I exclusively pump. It really isn't that bad!

However, I'm sure that Abigail will get breastfeeding as she had a physical reason why she wasn't feeding well. I've heard so many more stories were breastfeeding works with time and persistence. Keep taking advantage of the help being offered. Good luck with everything and hang in there!

Kimberly said...

Don't take any of this out on yourself. Breastfeeding is hard! And there are so many factors with it that are out of your control. I'm so glad that abigail's color is getting more normal and you are on the road to recovery! We will continue to keep yall in our prayers. Give me a call if you ever need to vent or someone to boost you up. You can do this!

Megan said...

I did the nipple guard with both my girls (one for 3 monthss the other for 6 weeks) love the nipple guard! There was no confusion from nipple guard to breast so I know I'll do it for all my kids. Breastfeeding is hard... but so is labor without medicine and you did that like a champ! My prayers are with you and Abigail (and Eric) Don't get too down on yourself either. A LoT of it is also the post partum emotions. It takes a while but you'll start feeling like yourself again. I also have a friend that couldn't nurse her first one and she just had another kid that is a pro. You are still a great mommy!!

Cherisse said...

Oh no! So sorry to hear. Those first couple of days/weeks/months of breastfeeding are really hard and exhausting. I had a really hard time getting used to it all with my first, but by the second and third babies I knew exactly what to do and it wasn't nearly as bad, just had to get over the painful part, but everything was so much better. Getting a good latch makes all the difference and for me it took multiple nurses to finally get a more aggressive nurse to grab my breast and show me how to make sure the baby got a good latch. I promise you if you endure it all soon you'll feel that immense love for your baby as you nurse her! For me it took four hard months. I was on the verge of giving up...in every way I was so exhausted and worst of all I didn't feel that special connection mothers talk about while breastfeeding. After one hard, tearful day I told Ryan I was done. But, he listened and gave me the best encouragement and I didn't give up. After that day I FINALLY felt that special connection. It was one of the best feelings in the world! I'm still nursing baby/toddler #3 and breastfeeding is one of the best things I've done for all my babies and me. Stay strong and I hope the best for you and your baby girl!