I have wanted to do everything right with this pregnancy... I am tracking my weight gain, watching what I am eating... And I firmly believe that exercise is super important for pregnancy. Not only does it help the woman feel better and have more energy, it helps keep the weight gain under control, helps with labor, and has huge benefits for the baby as well. I did plenty of research and reading up before getting pregnant to make sure that I did what was best for the baby. I made all sorts of goals for running right up to the end. I wasn't planning on reducing much of what I was doing since from what I had read, I shouldn't have too.
But a lots has still changed. I am still running. But what has surprised me is how without even trying to, the intensity of my runs has really tapered out. My 9-minute mile has turned into more like an 11-minute mile. I am also not going as far on my weekend runs. My 12-13 mile runs have become more like 6-8 miles. This decision was made early on after realizing that going about 2 hours, burning so many calories and taking just a few in probably isn't the best for the baby. I also read that the longer you workout, and the harder, the baby's heartbeat and temperature can possibly go too high. The research I read said that it is usually still safe if the baby's heartbeat is being closely monitored before and after workouts. Since I don't have any way to measure that, I decided it would be better to just cut back a bit. Another big change is that now I don't just roll out of bed and head out the door. I have always been a morning run person. I have never eaten anything before running (except for a little bit prior to longer runs), and never had a problem. Now I have to actually eat something small beforehand.
All of these changes have been a little hard to do and adjust to. When someone passes me up I have to resist the urge to race them... Or to speed up that big hill... But now its not just about me. I have someone else to think about. And these small sacrifices are well worth it.
2 comments:
A friend of mine ran right up until the birth of her second -- she ran 5 miles the morning he was born. I think it's awesome that you can -- and do! -- still run. I've never been a runner, but early Braxton Hicks contractions would make it difficult to continue doing while pregnant if I was. I think it's good, though, that you're getting into the habit of making those little sacrifices now because you're right: it's not just about you anymore. And it never will be again. Which is a wonderful thing and worth every sacrifice. :)
Wow- I think that's still amazing to run 6-8 miles. And I thought I did great running three miles today. And I am not pregnant. I think you can still feel great about what you're doing.
Post a Comment