Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Conference Weekend at the Andersons

With our car not working again (dead battery this time) Eric and I are pretty much stuck at home this past weekend. But what better weekend to be stuck at home than Conference weekend? I have really enjoyed being able to sit together and listen to Conference. It is really an amazing thing- General Conference. Right after another, we get to hear from our leaders, apostles and prophets, each with a wonderful inspiring message. As we were talking this last week about how we can prepare for Conference, Eric suggested that each think of personal questions that we can have in mind as we listen to the different talks. It is a suggestion I have heard before, but have never done. I have to admit, that once again, I didn't do it. But thinking of that through the week, kept the reminder that conference was coming in my mind. And as usual, I found myself excitedly anticipating it. And even though I didn't have specific questions, I have general/specific things relating to my and Eric's life and situation right now that I was hoping to receive guidance on.

Some of the things that really stood out to me as we listened was the importance of prioritizing our lives and not forgetting what is most important. Eric and I have already plunged into what is going to be an incredibly busy and stressful year. I tend to get so focused on school and studying that other things get pushed to the side. But I don't want that to happen. There is so much more that I should be doing, I need to, as Elder Uctdorf said, 'lift up my eyes and see what matters most.' And that is my husband and family, my testimony and relationship with God, and what I am doing to serve and love others.

I also loved President Monson's talk Sunday morning. Eric and are in a position right now where we definitely don't have a lot, and sometimes I start thinking of how little we have, or, 'someday when we will be able to afford or do such and such...' I shouldn't do that! We are so incredibly blessed, we have so much to be thankful for. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.

We also put our stuck-at-home time to a good use in the kitchen. We woke up Sunday morning morning and made muffins before settling down to listen to the amazing talks. And then that afternoon, we made donuts- a Hinckley conference tradition. This year we chose a new recipe to try, and a very fitting one, I thought. They are called Brigham Young's Buttermilk Donuts. Very yummy. But unfortunately, it made way too many for just the two of us! Even though we made what I thought was a small batch.

We also explored some more in the streets right near our house. We found one we hadn't one down before that was just the cutest little street. Narrow street with no sidewalks and adorable homes. We fanatized about moving over to this street- that is until we saw a for-sale sign in one of the yards that said the starting price was over $1 million. Umm, not going to happen anytime soon!

Hope you all had an awesome weekend too! Here are some recipes to enjoy!

Whole Wheat Pear Granola Muffins

from sisterscafe

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 (2 cups) pears, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice

Crumb topping:
1/2 cup granola

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, yogurt, and butter. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Add egg mixture to well, and mix in flour mixture until just combined. Gently fold in the pears.

Crumb topping:

In a bowl, toss together 1/2 cup granola, 1/4 cup each all-purpose flour and packed light-brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut 2 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter into pieces; add to granola mixture, and rub in with fingertips until clumps form.

Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each 3/4 full. Sprinkle with granola topping. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Brigham Young's Buttermilk Donuts

From virtualgoodyplate

2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten

1 c. sugar

5 3/4 c. flour

2 tsp. soda

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. nutmeg

1/4 c. melted butter

1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot or deep skillet (electric skillet if you have one)so that it's deep enough for the donuts to not touch the bottom. Use a candy thermometer to monitor heat (or just use an electric skillet!) - you want to get to 375.

2. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and sugar. Blend well. Stir in melted butter.

3. Sift together dry ingredients and beat into buttermilk mixture.

4. Roll or pat out dough onto floured surface to about 1/4 inch. Cut with 2 1/2 in. cutter (make sure to flour the cutter so it doesn't stick). A
donut cutter is ideal, but if you don't have one, use a biscuit cutter or glass and whatever you can figure out to cut out the hole (like a lid or tiny jar.)

5. Fry donuts and holes in vegetable oil that is 375 degrees - monitor heat between batches. If it is too cool the donuts will get too greasy while cooking; if it's too hot they won't cook all the way through. Add oil as needed so donuts don't touch bottom of pan. Flip when golden brown to cook other side. Lay cooked donuts on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels. Cool slightly. Dip in glaze, then lay glaze side up on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet.

Glaze

1/2 c. boiling water

1 lb. powdered sugar
2 tsp. either vanilla or maple flavoring

Mix a little of the water into the powdered sugar to make a paste. Add the rest of the water. This should be a glaze, not a thick frosting. Add 2 tsp. of either vanilla or maple flavoring. Glaze only 1 size of the donut.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Ah, I see you've discovered the awesomeness of my friend's cooking blog. I tell you, she makes some pretty mouthwatering stuff. I copied down the recipe for these donuts a long time ago, but still haven't made them. One of these days....

Glad you enjoyed your conference weekend! (Also, home ownership in your neighborhood sounds about as affordable as it is in ours!)