Sunday, October 24, 2010

Life

The past couple months life has consisted of waking up very early (some weeks I have had to be at my internship by 5am), quickly getting ready, and leaving for a full, busy day. Eric gets up either the same time as me or shortly after, takes off for school and I don't see him again until the evening- sometimes not until 8ish at night.

As of last Friday, I have officially completed the first two months of my internship. This also means that I have completed my Foodservice Management portion of my internship. I can check that off now! Now it is on to my Clinical portion- which will be about 6 1/2 months long. This is the part that I have been most nervous about. I will start off my rotations with the oncology and bone marrow transplant dietitian. They aren't starting me out easy at all!

As difficult as I know it will be, I am very excited for it. This is what I have been preparing for since my first dietetics class five years ago. So, what will I be doing?

Every two weeks I will start a new rotation. The rotations include oncology, sepsis, HIV, diabetes, the burn unit, pediatrics, and the list goes on and on. In each one of those I will be paired with a dietitian. I will learn how to do nutrition assessments for each different disease state, make nutritional diagnoses, make diet recommendations based on their needs, and give nutrition education.

Since I switch rotations every two weeks, this means my schedule also changes every two weeks. Which hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be- it just makes planning anything outside of work really difficult since I don't know what that schedule will be until a week before starting the rotation. For example, I don't even know yet whether or not I will be able to get Thanksgiving off or not- it all depends on whether my preceptor has the day off.

Keeps life exciting, I guess. Busy, but exciting.

Eric has also been keeping extremely busy with school. His classes definitely give a huge workload. But he is really enjoying everything and is having some great experiences. He even got to meet with the former Commander of Central Command last week for a mock interview. He was pretty excited about that.

Between meeting former navy heroes, writing endless Chinese papers, and reading about economics, my Eric hardly has a free moment. When he does, it is usually spent by me massaging his hurting head. :)

And that is life for us right now. And we are loving it. Except for the fact that Halloween is in one week and I haven't even bought a pumpkin. Anyone who knows me very well will know this is a very sad thing.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

That is sad! Hope you have a fun Halloween! Have you made anything pumpkiny yet?

Kimberly said...

I am sending you an imaginary pumpkin in the mail right now! (Did you get it yet? :)
Sounds like things are just crazy crazy for y'all! It almost sounds busier than med school is for David! (Although this week is test week, so it will look very familiar to you!) I'm so glad you made it through the first major portion of your internship! It really does feel so good to be doing what you were studying so hard to do! I miss it a lot. But, I remind myself that being a mother is the most important thing for me right now. Plus, recreation therapy is not very abundant in Galveston. Oh well!
I send my love to y'all! I hope to talk soon!