Nursery leader was my very first calling outside of Young Womens and for the 8-ish years since then I have tried to block that short period from my memory. I was the only nursery leader in there, had absolutely no experience with kids, and was terrified to death. My mom had to come to my rescue more than once. It was probably the most stressful calling I've had! But I think it will be much better this time. The other two girls working in the nursery are incredibly nice which is good. The kids are adorable and, though maybe this week was just a fluke, really well-behaved. And in what other calling do you get snack time?
3 comments:
Nursery is great birth control! I will tell you that. And it really isn't a bad calling. My biggest qualm is that as a new member in the ward you are completely isolated from making any friends. At least you aren't alone in there this time. But I really think there should be a ban on calling new members of the ward to the nursery. My personal opinion because I had my own experience of never getting to know my first married ward. But, yeah! Snack time is the best!
You did nursery after YW too? I did also in Fontana and it was crazy! I remember being the only leader practically too and having really hard kids to deal with (autism) and like you said no experience with kids. It was soooo hard! Fontana really needs to make sure there is more than one person called especially when you are 18 and its your first calling. I really hope this time around is better for you. Has Eric got a calling yet?
Nursery was our first calling in Brooklyn. We liked it, but I did miss not getting to more easily meet people in the ward. But whatever, we know them now. It was also kind of rough because Garrett was a newborn and it was difficult taking care of him (and keeping germy toddler hands off of him) and keeping the nursery kids happy. So, while it was a good calling and we enjoyed it, it wasn't really ideal timing. But those kids. Oh my, those kids. They were great. I kinda wish I could go back to that calling now. The new nursery manual, though, is AWESOME. Seriously. It makes teaching lessons MUCH, MUCH easier. It's the sort of manual you'll want to own a copy of yourself to use for future FHE's when you have small children of your own.
Post a Comment