Thursday, May 13, 2010

Laundry Day!

One of the privileges of living where we do it that we get to experience washing clothes the real way. Ok, maybe not quite-- we don't have to wash our clothes by hand. But we do have to hang them up to dry. Which, in a very humid place, is not always the funnest thing to.

Except in the very wealthy houses, no one here owns a clothes dryer and so on any clear day, you will be greeted by a very colorful sight as soon as you walk out the door. Shirts, pants, dresses, even undergarments, flying in the breeze for the whole world to see.

Photobucket
And since most everyone lives in apartments, each apartment has this contraption outside one of the windows of poles where the clothes hang.

Photobucket
I was quite apprehensive and nervous about using these-- what if I dropped my clothes or they blew away, etc... When we were in Nanjing, I never actually used it, I just hung everything up inside. But we moved here, we had less space, and I told myself, "Kiersten, you are in China, it is time to act like you are!" And so I did it. And it's not so hard. I have only had a few mishaps. The first day, I almost dropped the pole that I was putting out on a lady's head below. Oops. And then a few shirts have blown away. I just make Eric go and grab the stray clothes (so I'm not the one who has to look silly running after clothes, of course).

Photobucket
Photobucket
And some people just hang them wherever there is space :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Is it sunny today? Laundry time!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

There's no set up to line dry our clothes in our apartment, but my friend does and that's how she dries their clothes. More people here have dryers (or access to a laundromat) so not as many people line dry, but quite a few still do. It's such an urban thing to do.