Tuesday, May 18, 2010

EXPO 2010 is here

Photobucket
Ok, the Expo actually opened a couple of weeks ago, but I am just a little slow at getting things written. We haven't gone to the Expo yet but we will be going next week so more about that later. We (by we I mean mostly Eric) has been doing a lot of research as to what we want to see and which pavilions we want to go visit. With over 170 pavilions from different countries and corporations, along with 3 hour long lines, and one day to see it all, it is going to be like Disneyland on a Saturday in the summer-- times a million.

But for now, I just want to introduce our friend, Haibao.

Photobucket
'Who or what is Haibao?', you ask. No, he is not a huge glob of toothpaste, although he may very closely resemble one. He is the official mascot of Shanghai World Expo 2010. And if you were in Shanghai, there is no way you could avoid knowing that. Haibao is everywhere, literally. Huge statues, bush sculptures, posters, on walls, on trash cans, the blue guy is everywhere.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
When we first started noticing him everywhere, hmm... I guess that would be our first day here, I thought he was the wierdest choice of a mascot ever (remember, he looks like toothpaste). However, the little guy (more often than not, big guy) has really grown on me.

Photobucket
Photobucket
We are even now the proud owners of a stuffed Haibao.

3 comments:

Maren said...

Haibao is everywhere! We don't have nearly as much of him as you do, but we've got a statue in a park and some gigantic stuffed ones in a bank and lots of posters. He is weird looking but oddly endearing. You'll have to post about going to the Expo so that we can use your knowledge when we go next month! Too bad you guys will already be gone by the time we get there. :/

And question...where is the 3rd picture from the top taken? The one with Kiersten and the little girl standing next to her with the traditional architecture? It looks like a fun place to visit.

Kiersten said...

That picture is near the Yuyuan Garden- in the old city area. There are lots of shops (some good souvenir shops) and cool looking buildings, and also the City God Temple around there. We have never actually been inside the gardens (we are cheap I guess) but everyone says they are really pretty. There is even a subway stop that goes to this area now.

Wish we could see you guys again before we all leave China, too! We'll definitely let you know how the Expo is.

Ruth said...

I saw in TIME magazine that the Expo was in Shanghai so I've been meaning to ask you about it. The pictures in TIME look amazing so I can't wait to hear about it!