Time for another installment in the long-delayed chronicles of the adventures of the Andersons in China. About a week and a half before leaving China for America, Eric and I set off on our 'grand tour' of China. Well, it was grand for us, though we only went to two of the countless cities in China: Beijing and Xian. Two very different places and I'd have to say, that based on our experiences in Xian, Beijing was by far the favorite. But we'll save that story for later. Beijing first. Here we go!
May 25 - May 30
We boarded an overnight train to Beijing late Monday night. We had decided to 'rough it' by taking the hard seats instead of the bed option. And was it a long night. Though still a far cry from what we experienced later in the trip on our way back to Shanghai...
Tian'anmen Square
Even though I know I've seen pictures, I had this image in my mind of what Tian'anmen Square was like. Not a bit like it. When we got there I didn't even realize we were there. I think I was picturing this huge enclosed area. It is huge, but open, and empty except for the big mausoleum for Mao Zedong. (which you can see in the background of the first picture below)
Looking towards the Forbidden City
Forbidden City
The Forbidden City. Just that name alone has always evoked fascination in me. I remember looking at pictures in the National Geographic years ago when there was an issue done on China and feeling in awe looking at them. It looked beautiful, immense, and, well, a little forbidding. And now here we were, right outside of the Forbidden City, going inside.
We happened to go when there was some sort of foreign dignitary visiting and so we were able to get some good empty pictures since a lot of the grounds were blocked off. And, thankfully, the dignitaries didn't stay too long so we were still able to go see everything. I guess when you are a 'dignitary' you are just too busy to actually see the Forbidden City. Glad I'm not one.
We found ourselves by a tour group at one point, from Malaysia I think it was,so I was able to eavesdrop and learn all sorts of interesting things. Which was fun, though Eric didn't think it was too interesting to learn about the daily rituals of the royal family. So, we moved on.
Temple of Heaven
Built in the Ming dynasty (around 1420 AD,)the Temple of Heaven was the temple where the emperors went to worship, you got it, heaven. The emperor was regarded as the 'son of heaven' and he preformed sacrifices here to heaven on behalf of their people.
It was definitely different from other temples we have visited. The buildings are spread out-- all in a straight line but you have to walk a ways between them. The buildings are surrounded by beautiful gardens. While walking through the gardens, we stumbled across an accordion player accompanying a few older men singing. It was beautiful.
Summer Palace
If the Forbidden City was where the royal families lived, this is where they played. And I don't blame them. For as closed in and really barren looking the Forbidden City is, this amazing place is the opposite. Green, lush, stunning surroundings. And so peaceful. And we were there with hundreds of other tourists-- I can only imagine how wonderful it was with no one else there. This had to be one of our favorites places we went to in Beijing. We spent I think seven hours there and we could have gone back for another day. We loved it.
Olympic Park
We spent a rainy evening in Beijing exploring the Olympic Park. We got there to late to go inside anywhere but it was still really neat being able to see all the different buildings.
Everything looked even cooler once it started to get dark. Unfortunately, that is right about when our camera quits working.
And this is just part of our trip to Beijing. Coming up soon, our trip to the Great Wall!
2 comments:
Wow! That all looks so amazing! I'm so excited to hear about the rest of your trip! Though, I'm sure there will be a little bit of a break because of moving. Good luck! We sure will miss you, but enjoyed the time we had to spend together!
Lucky, Lucky, Lucky! So beautiful!
Post a Comment