I love running. Most everyone knows that about me. I love it for how I feel, for the time I have to be alone and think, and for the calming effect it has on me. And I love it for the adventure it is. In China, it was an adventure just with the crazy people I'd meet on my run (Mr. Orange shirt talked about here). Here in the hill-country of Texas, it is not people I meet so much as the fun little critters.
My favorite so far? Wild boar. Yep, when I heard that rustling and snorting coming from the bushes next to me I about jumped out of my skin! And then I see this huge boar running away with little baby boars scuttling after. Number of sightings so far? Three.
And then there are the dozens of deer I meet. Some days I see over 20 of them. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I see one of the huge bucks. But they don't seem to venture out by the road too much. And right now, there are still lots of little fawns. I see sometimes five of these little guys with their mammas watching close by.
After it rains, there are tons of frogs. Mostly squished on the road, but I do see a few just hopping by.
One day I saw a huge snake coiled up on the side of the road. It was red and black and yellow. Now, I have heard that depending on the order of the colors it might be poisonous. I don't remember what this one was, but there is the possibility that I was close to getting bit by a deadly snake!
There are also these funny looking insects. Like the ones you see in books where they look like sticks. They are about 6 inches long and, well, stick-y looking.
And the birds. Beautiful birds. That is, except for all those vultures! Where I come from, you never see vultures. Here, on one of my runs, was the very first time I ever saw a vulture in real life (as far as I know. At least the first time that I recognized one). There was a whole group of them, line up on a wall about five feet from the road, staring at me. A couple more were on the ground surrounding their dinner. Creepy, definitely creepy.
All in all, its been fun. I never know what a new day will bring! And I wonder, what new adventures will I have on my runs in San Diego? Probably no wild boars...
2 comments:
So funny! In San Diego you might not see those amazing animals but you have the beach to run on. I wish you lived closer to be my personal trainer or something to get me motivated!
I'm sure you'll find lots of cool shells!
Post a Comment