Thursday, March 18, 2010

Teaching English

I had a post all written and ready to go about the English classes we taught in Nanjing and never actually posted it. So, a month later, here it is! :)

Class is over! For now…

It seems I can never get away from teaching English. First on my mission- teaching weekly classes in the community and at different high schools and universities, and now here- teaching preschool, elementary, and university classes. Funny how people keep thinking I know anything about teaching English.

Today was my last day teaching at the university. I have been teaching two classes a week for the past few months. For the most part it has been really fun. It took a lot of time figuring out lesson plans and sometimes I had the hardest time getting them to stay focused and listen to me. But I think they had a good time and hopefully their English is at least a little better!

My class (well, one of them):
Photobucket
Photobucket
Last week Eric and I taught our last class at the elementary school where we have been volunteering since being in Nanjing. It is an elementary school for children of migrant workers. China has some rule where if your residency is not with the city you actually live in your children cannot attend the normal schools. The government gives no funding to the schools like the one where we have been volunteering and in order to keep the costs low for the students attending, they rely a lot on donations and volunteers. That’s us! We have been teaching English for one hour a week in a fifth grade class.

The class, for the most part, has been really great. The first couple of weeks were a nightmare though. I think I’ve posted already about that- let’s just say that I would not wish the experience of those first weeks on anyone!

We were sad to have to say goodbye to our class. It’s been a great experience!

Here are a few pictures of our class.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket (notice my backwards peace sign. In China 6 months and I still can't get it right! :)

So I am done with teaching English. For now. Who knows what I will get roped into when we are in Shanghai…?

**I remembered this post because I am actually probably going to be started some English tutoring soon. I guess as a foreigner who doesn't speak Chinese, what else can I do? :)

No comments: