Monday, March 15, 2010

Strawberries everywhere

Ok, I am pretty sure strawberries are usually in season during the summer, right? Well, I guess they come early here in Shanghai. Strawberries are everywhere and for so cheap! I bought a huge bag-full (maybe 8 cups worth) the other day for only about 50 cents! It is wonderful. Although the weather seems to keep changing its mind on whether it wants to be spring or winter (we had a beautiful day of 70 degree weather and then the next was back to rainy, 40-something degrees), all these strawberries make me feel like it is spring.

Photobucket
With all these strawberries around, of course I have to buy tons. And of course that means more than Eric and I can eat. Which logically leads to me searching for great recipes to try. Here is my new favorite strawberry recipe.

Sweet Strawberry Bread
from sisterscafe
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups fresh strawberries, cut small

Mix flour, soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Add eggs, sugar, oil. Mix until moist, carefully add strawberries. Batter will be thick. Spoon into greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes then remove.

Anyone have a favorite strawberry recipe? Send it my way!

All these berries also made me think of one of my favorite childrens' books- Jamberry by Bruce Degen. Great book!

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I am sooo extremely jealous! That recipe sounds so good and we don't get strawberries until mid-june. I wish ours were 50 cents for all that! Enjoy all your strawberries!

Kimberly said...

My favorite recipe would have to be the frozen strawberry squares that we have in our family cookbook. So, if y'all don't have that cookbook there with you, let me know and I'll email the recipe to you. It is soooo good and makes me feel like it's summer time! Yay!