Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Great Pumpkin is Coming to Town

Halloween in China turned out to be a lot more fun than I had thought it would be. We were even able to find Halloween in some unexpected places- a Chinese university and a local mall.
The night before Halloween we got to help out at a party a lady in our branch was giving for her English students. This is their costume parade.
Photobucket
Much to Eric's displeasure I had agreed for the two of us to be in charge of the songs. Our assignment was to sing 'Halloween Carols' with the students. This meant we sang horribly worded renditions of Christmas carols. Every single song seemed to find some way to sneak mention of the 'Great Pumpkin' in there. Why, we could not figure out. But they sure gave the impression that Halloween is celebrated only to commemorate the 'Great Pumpkin', whoever that is... (all we could come up with was maybe this was a reference to the Great Pumpkin from the Charlie Brown comics?)

Halloween night we ventured out in very Halloween-ish weather to go to a mall called Aqua City. To our surprise we discovered elaborate Halloween decorations everywhere and little witches and supermans running around! (Apparently a community trick or treat was going on.)
Photobucket
< img style="display:block; margin:0px auto 10px; text-align:center;cursor:pointer; cursor:hand;width: 320px; height: 240px;"img src="http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu152/rachiii88/DSCN3607.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">
Some of the friends I made:
Photobucket Photobucket

We also had our own Halloween celebration at home. For the first time in years I attempted caramel apples. Definitely put our chopsticks to good use! Photobucket
Here is Eric carving our pumpkin. Photobucket
Aren't they cute?! Photobucket
We'd like you to meet Jack aka 'The Great Pumpkin.' (He does exist!)Photobucket

4 comments:

Cherisse said...

How fun! Glad you guys had a fun Halloween! Hey, thanks again for the ketchup hot sauce. I like it.

Kimberly said...

Sounds like fun! I think the Great Pumpkin sounds a bit like Big Brother. At least he looks a little evil.

Ruth said...

I love the cute little pumpkins!

Maren said...

The library actually does have North and South! I saw it the last time I went (somewhere between 1-2 weeks ago). Crazy, huh? It made me excited. And it's a good read, so go get it! You can also find it online.