Like I mentioned here, I've gotten really behind since I haven't been feeling good with some awful morning sickness, so keeping up our little family blog just was not something I was able to do.
But, the marathon! I had been wanting to run another marathon for a long time, the last one I ran was in 2008. But with moving around, having babies, not feeling like I had the time to train,and with how expensive the races are, it just didn't seem like the right time. But last fall, I decided it was something that I really wanted to make happen, especially before another baby came along.
I started training and looking for a race I could do. It was a bit discouraging because I wanted a Saturday race and one under $100. Not easy to find. So I expanded my search area and found a good possibility in the Phoenix area. I called up my sister to see if we could plan a trip to see them around it since they live near there, and guess who was planning on running the half marathon of the same race?! It worked out perfectly. We planned a trip out to Texas as an extension of the marathon trip so we could see Eric's parents, who the girls hadn't seen in over a year.
I thoroughly enjoyed the training. I really like going on the long runs and spending all that time outside. It felt so good to have this concrete fitness goal I was working towards, it made my runs so much more fun. Although I was really loving my long solo Saturday runs, it wasn't long before I had a little girl begging to come with me. So Abby started joining me on a good portion of them. I'd wake her up at about 5:30am, load up the stroller with lots of snacks and books to keep her occupied and off we'd go. The longest run she did with me was a 20 mile run, and I thought it was amazing that she lasted that long.
Our 20-miler photo! This was at about mile 10, so halfway. Still going strong!
The race was scheduled for Jan 30, and we drove out to Phoenix without any problems. Then the night before, I suddenly started feeling really sick and achy, and hardly slept the whole night. I was a little worried about running sick but figured I was there so I was going to go for it.
Ruth and I woke up early and took off to be at the race starting area around 6am. It was dark and cold and we almost missed the starting gun with trying to wait in line for the port-a-potty which they definitely did not have enough of.
It was a very small race, only 51 people ran the full marathon, so a much smaller crowd than I've been used to in the past. They had the half-marathoners start at the same time so I was able to run the first part with Ruth. It is an out and back race so she turned around between the 6-7 mile and I kept on going. It really thinned out after that point. I really felt like I was just out there doing one of my long runs, except for when I would get to one of the aid stations. I had my energy gels with me and had planned out the spacing of those based on those water spots. I think I spaced them pretty well because my energy level stayed pretty constant and I was able to keep my pace between 9-9:30 minute miles. And every now and then I would pass someone which always feels good. :)
The only bad thing was how stiff my legs were feeling the second half of the race. I really think that was due to the cold I had developed, it was sure not normal. But I was able to push through that without it slowing me down. I passed several people those last few miles that just looked like they were wiped out, I was so glad that I had paced myself well and was doing great.
The end of the race is a small hill and you can't see the finish line till you reach the top of the hill and then it is about maybe a 1/4 mile from there to the finish. Coming to the top and seeing the finish so close was such a great feeling. I saw my little family there waiting for me and cheering for me (they were the only people at the finish line, that's how small the race was) and that was just the best thing to see. I felt such a sense of accomplishment and had tears in my eyes as I crossed the finish.
The rest of the day was relaxing, with some hot tub time, and a huge dinner at Cafe Rio. Aside from the crazy sore legs that always follow these long runs, it was a great day.
I'm so glad that I finally made another marathon happen. Hopefully it won't be another 8 years until my next one!



1 comment:
You seriously timed doing your marathon perfectly and now a new baby- such and exciting year! Maybe you'll feel up to joining me on another race in the next year or two =)
Post a Comment