A couple of awesome ladies I know keep track of the books they read each year which I've always thought is a fun idea. So last year I did as well, pulling a couple from both of their lists for some fun inspiration.
Here's what I read in 2015:
(favorites bolded)
January:
Summer Moonshine, by PG Wodehouse
A Week in Winter, by Mauve Binchey. This author was pulled from my friend's list and what a great find! Really liked all of her books that I read this year, will definitely read more.
The Gift my Mother Gave me, edited by Elizabeth Benedict
February:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,by Rebecca Skloot
Quentins,by Mauve Binchey
March:
Reading Lolita in Tehran, by Azar Nafisi
The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns, by Margaret Dilloway
Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquila
April:
Whitethorn Woods, by Mauve Binchey
Friday Night Knitting Club, by Kate Jacobs
May:
Gap Creek, by Robert Morgan
Every Living Thing, by James Herriot A surprisingly great read. I was skeptical, it was the choice of an older lady in our book club at church. But the author is such a fun and witty writer, loved this one.
History of Love, by Nicole Krauss
June:
Little Beach Street Bakery, by Jenny Colgan
Women at Church, by Neylan McBaine. Great book! She has some wonderful, simple ideas on how women's role in the Mormon church can be increased
Wonder, by RJ Palacio
For One More Day, by Mitch Albom
July:
Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan
The Polygamous Wives Writing Club, by Paula Kelly Harline. Hoped this one would help me come to a peaceful place with my problems with the history of polygamy. But although I thought it was a wonderful book, it did not help me achieve that aim. And really, it's not a place I ever really expect to get to.
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
Counting by 7's, by Holly Goldberg Sloan
Say Goodnight Gracie, by Julie Reece Deaver
August:
The Scarlet Pimpernel, by Baroness Orczy. Always a good read
The Counterfeit Lady, by Kate Parker
The American Heiress, by Daisy Goodwin. Found this one in the 'Little Library' in the neighborhood (does anyone else's neighborhoods do this? It's a small box that people can take and leave books in, probably a third of my books this year came from this box) and was surprisingly very good. Made me think of Cora in Downton Abby.
September:
The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This was the One Book, One San Diego book for 2015. Really good.
December:
Essentialism, by Greg McKeown. It took me October through December to finally push my way through this book. I really liked it and it inspired me to change, but I guess I like me a good story better. :)
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya- Sisterhood, by Rebecca Wells
The Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. Probably one of my favorites for this year. It really drew me in emotionally, I think mostly due to my being a mother and relating to some of her emotions as she enters new motherhood. Also very eye-opening into the foster system.
1 comment:
Thanks for the ideas. I tried to read Essentialism this summer but I couldn't finish it before it was due back. Interesting ideas, though. I haven't finished Women at Church yet either and I need to get on that. Glad you liked it.
Post a Comment