Took awhile to write, Abby's birthday was June 7th
Dearest Abby,
If anyone asks you how old you are, you sure know the answer! "I three!" You are three, wow. My tiny colicky baby is now a big girl. And such a sweet little (oops, I mean big) girl you are. Except for your occasional tantrums, you are such a mild tempered, happy girl. You have changed so much in the last year. You have grown so much more independent, you don't need me to play with you all day long. I can actually clean (!) or cook while you are awake and Rua is sleeping, because you are super content to read or play by yourself for a while.
Some or your favorite things to play or do are
- Reading. You love to have me read to you, but you also love to read by yourself. If I stop and listen, I can hear you talking about the pictures or summarizing the story if you already know it. Often, you sit and read to your babies or monkey and bear. If there is a book you really love, you will even memorize it word for word. Top book for you this year would definitely be Mighty Dads by Jane Holub. It's adorable how when you see a crane, for instance, you say, "look mom! It's a crane long arm!"
- Puzzles. I sure think it's amazing how well you do puzzles. When we go to the library, your favorite thing to do is sit and go through all of their puzzles. And they have a lot.
- Taking care or your babies (this includes monkey and bear). You change their diapers, give them milk, give them medicine, put them down for naps, read to them, carry them in the ergo, and go on walks with them. We were at a group FHE tonight, and the person doing the lesson asked you why God gave you your baby, referring to Rua, but you just lovingly looked down at your baby doll that you had brought with you. I could almost see your little mind thinking, 'God gave me my baby doll?! Wow!'
- You like all your necklaces and bracelets. You like to get into my makeup.
- But you are not all girly. One of your most favorite past times is playing with your large collection of matchbox cars. You drive them to all of your favorite places, to the zoo, to the museum, to sea world, to get ice cream. All located at different spots on the rug. Anything with wheels - or wings, is fascinating to you.
- You love to paint and do crafts. Most days you will come up to me at least once and say, 'mom, I want to do a craft!' Which is great, but usually sounds like more work than fun for me.
- You always want to help cook and bake. We have our matching aprons and we sure use them!

- Lately you want to help clean. Like mopping floors, doing dishes, doing laundry. I have to always remind myself to slow down and let you help me.
- Singing! You are such a little singer. Your favorite songs are 'The Itsey Bitsey Spider' and 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'
In all of your playing, your imagination has been developing like crazy. It's so fun to hear you tell me what your babies or cars are doing. Lately they've been getting hurt a lot and need a lot of bandaids (this followed an unfortunate fall a little boy we were watching took).
Notice the band-aids on Monkey's head
Favorite places: The zoo. The beach. The Children's museum. Costco. Target (if it's one with an escalator). The library. The park.
You get so excited about your friends and spending time with them. It's so cute to see you run around, holding their hands as you play. You love to go to nursery at church. Though you did have about a two month period where you were suddenly fearful, like really scared and crying hysterically, to go. But you are back to loving nursery.
You love your baby sister. You try to help keep her happy and play with her. You are still learning to share with her, but you've come a long way already. But you have no hesitation in giving her love and kisses.
Your language has taken off so much in the last year. With that, your sense of humor and ability to say something intentionally funny. The things you say! I wish I wrote some of them down! And the questions. Over and over. 'What's that?' 'What you talking about?' 'What are we doing?'
You are so brave in certain things. Like climbing.
And then the things you are afraid of - anything that make air sounds. Meaning, air mattresses or inflatable anything. Especially bouncy houses! This even extends to Eric or I filling up the tires on the car, bike, or stroller. You will run as far away as you can (or sit in your car seat and cry in the case of filling the car tires)
Abby, I think you are the most beautiful and wonderful little girl. I love spending time with you and talking with you. Before Rua was born 8 months ago and I had to the hospital and stay overnight for tests and you were home, I missed you so much and wanted my Abby with me. Even though you are three I really feel like you are one of my best friends, one of the few people I always want near me.
Now, there are times I get frustrated and upset. Especially when you don't listen and throw tantrums. I know I don't always handle those situations the best, but I am trying, I am learning. Our year-long to date potty training has also been very trying for me. It has brought me to tears several times. So much that I would have done differently with that! Here's hoping we'll get that down soon!
Three years old. Time that has gone so quickly but filled with so many memories. Three of the best years of my life. I love you Abby-girl.
Love,
Your Mamma












No comments:
Post a Comment