Thursday, May 29, 2014

Potty training - Abby

Almost two weeks ago, we started potty training with Abby.  It was a Sunday and I was staying home with Abby for possible pink eye so I figured since we were stuck at home we might as well give it a shot.  

I really didn't know what I was doing.  I had read little bits here and there and so kind of mixed some ideas together.  In the morning I asked Abby if she wanted to say 'bye-bye' to diapers.  She thought this was a wonderful idea and was all for it.  So we went completely bare-bottomed the whole day.  I rolled up our carpets to prepare for the accidents. And there were tons.  No success at all.  

The next morning we made a sticker chart together (Abby loves stickers) and I explained that she would get to put a sticker on whenever she peed or pooped in the potty.   Well that whole day was sticker-less, until right before bed.  She had a couple half-successes (half on floor, half on potty) so we gave her stickers.  The next day she got four stickers.  Each day got better and better.   

                                    

I was so afraid to go anywhere with her, not knowing when she would need to go.  I ventured out on Tuesday to go running, taking the potty with us in the stroller.  We stopped half-way at a park to let her sit on it.  We got home and she was still dry!  Yay!  We ventured out for walks the next day, and on Thursday the potty came with us to playgroup at a park.  I was asking her to have potty time every 1/2 hour at that point, and have stretched it out to about every hour now.  


And she is doing so great!  She seems to really get it, and the only times she resists are the times that she doesn't need to go.  Otherwise she sits right down and goes pretty quickly.  After nap is a struggle.  Her nap diaper is dry most days so I try to get her to sit down pretty much right when she wakes up, but that girl just doesn't wake up from naps happy so she really doesn't want to. The accidents have decreased a ton, today we had two. 


I really didn't think it was going to work, but I'm glad we stuck with it.  This girl is sure on her way to being potty-trained!!


No comments: