Monday, December 17, 2012

A taste of solids for Abby


I hadn't been looking forward to this step of giving Abby food, mostly because it meant my little baby was growing up and felt a little as though she didn't need me as much anymore. I guess that will only get more and more true.  But she is only six months old and definitely still needs me. It still felt a little sad though to move on to this new stage.

I chose sweet potato for her very first food. She wasn't so sure about it at first and made some very funny faces. After a while though she decided it wasn't so bad! 



'Mom, I'm all messy!'

So here we go!  I still need to figure the whole feeding thing out some more - how much, how often, etc. I know that breastmilk is still the main source of nutrition until a year so I'm not sure how much food I need to give on top of that... some figuring out I need to do.  And I need to get this making baby food thing down.  So far it hasn't been too bad and I have a freezer stash of sweet potato, pumpkin, avocado, and peas. Though we are leaving this week for a couple week Christmas vacation.  Not sure how to handle that with making own baby food.  Or should I just do jarred food while we are traveling?  Anyone have any experience traveling and making baby food?

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

For what it's worth, I'll be giving Matthew jarred foods while we're traveling. Why make traveling with children harder than it already is, right? ;) Matthew is a little older and more advanced than Abby in the solid food arena, so if I'm not imagining that Joyce has one of those mini food processor/choppers, I'll probably use it occasionally to turn what everyone else is eating into "baby food."

Also, as for determining how much solid food she needs, just follow her cues. The main purpose of solids in the first year of life is to introduce children to them; their main nutrition is still liquid. But as she gets bigger and more interested, she'll want more. Just pay attention to what she wants.