(Note: This was written last week, when Abby actually turned 3 months on September 7th.)
Dearest Abby,
We made it to three months! Now, Abby, everywhere I read says that at three months the extra fussiness and colickiness disappears. So I expect only a very happy baby from here on out. Because, yes my dear, you have continued through this past month to be quite the high maintenance baby. Whenever we go to playgroup I have to remind myself constantly that every baby is different and that I am not a horrible mother because you are the only one crying.
However, you have gotten better. Much better. Ever since we resolved our breastfeeding problems, you have been much less fussy when feeding at least. This month it finally dawned on us that sometimes you cry because you are tired. Who knew? Because of all the problems we had starting out I assumed every time you cried it was because you were starving. I figured little tiny babies just slept when they needed it. So now I have been working on putting you down for a nap every couple of hours. You aren't able to soothe yourself to sleep yet, but these naps are helping so much. And you take these naps in your crib! Amazing. Just a month ago, I was so afraid to set you down when you were sleeping, and if we did, it was in your little chair or swing. And the nights. Oh what a welcome improvement. You now sleep for one long stretch, usually between 4-6 hours. After that it is hit and miss with how the rest of the night goes.
You are smiling so much more now, which has been so fun. But it is so hard to capture them in a picture. You see that camera and you get oh so serious as you try to figure out what this strange thing is. I try to be sneaky but it doesn't work too well.
About a month ago you started drooling like crazy. And you are constantly making bubbles with it. You and your Daddy like to make bubbles at each other - it's like a conversation going back and forth. You aren't a big coo-er, but you sure talk with those bubbles!
(Update from 9/12/2012 -- a.k.a. today -- You are a professional coo-er now! Starting a couple of days ago, you began catching us up on everything that has been happening the past three months. And, oh how I love it! After baths, after feeding, and when you're just feeling like talking, I love talking to you!)
(Update from 9/12/2012 -- a.k.a. today -- You are a professional coo-er now! Starting a couple of days ago, you began catching us up on everything that has been happening the past three months. And, oh how I love it! After baths, after feeding, and when you're just feeling like talking, I love talking to you!)
You still love to stand up on your little feet - you are such a strong little girl! You would much prefer to be standing than to be sitting. You've been like this since you were a little over a month old, but even more so now. You also love to hold your own fingers and clasp your hands together, which is absolutely adorable.
Another fun milestone for this month has been the improvement in bath-time. Up til just a few weeks ago I dreaded bath-time. I felt like I was torturing you each time as you screamed yourself red in the face. I wouldn't say you are quite to the point of enjoying bath-time - definitely haven't given us any smiles at bath-time yet - but you are calm. And I will take calm over screaming any day. (Although, I must say, your favorite tummy time is in the bathtub looking at the water coming down.) A bath is now part of your bedtime routine and it sure helps in quieting you down for sleep time.
I was so excited when your dad got me a glider rocking chair a couple weeks ago. But, unfortunately for your mamma's back, you will have none of that rocking chair when you are mad. You only want your blue ball. It is incredible how well bouncing on that birth ball will calm you down. Really though, baby girl, I wish you would like the rocking chair better!
What a fun month this has been, Abby! You are getting bigger every day. It is so sad to see some of your adorable little outfits getting snugger. When we weighed you last week you were 11lb 10oz.
We are so blessed to have you in our lives. I love you and, as your Daddy reminds me every day as he leaves for work, I am so lucky to spend every day with you.
I love you baby girl.
Love,
2 comments:
Three months is a major accomplishment -- for both of you. I can't wait to meet that little sweetheart at Christmas!
Happy three months! I hope for your sake too that she loses interest in the ball...I heard once that babies whose mothers ran while pregnant like to recreate the bouncing feeling running produces after they're born. ;) R had to go cold turkey at 2.5 months when we left for CA and I think he forgot about the ball. Ah sweet back relief. :)
Post a Comment