Monday, April 16, 2012

Weeks 29-32

Time for another pregnancy post!

Week 29

Still feeling great.  The week it was back to having to go to the bathroom a ton again.  Especially annoying when I am out running - makes it quite uncomfortable.  I have to plan my runs so that there is a bathroom halfway through. My runs are getting so slow! But I am still doing about 4 miles a day which doesn't seem too bad. I actually passed someone up for the first time in a long time.  He might have been quite elderly, but it still made me feel good. Eric and I got around to starting our baby registries this week.  We have been putting it off for quite a while. It was really nice to walk around the store and actually look at things.  I still have lots of research to do though, especially with cloth diapers, strollers, and baby carriers. Any tips or thoughts on ones that you have liked would be very welcome! 


Week 30 

Eric was on spring break this week which was so nice. I loved having that time with him. At this weeks midwife appointment, I measured small, again - at 28.5 weeks. The midwife also couldn't tell which way the baby was positioned so she did a quick ultrasound.  Baby girl was oblique , lying on her back with her head in the bottom left corner. It was neat to get a quick glimpse of her. 

Week 31

This was more of a difficult week. Started off with a not so fun trip to the birthing center's back-up obstetrician's office. The birthing center requires us to meet once with the doctor, mostly so we can meet them in case something comes up later on requiring a transfer to the hospital. It was such a difference being in his office compared to the birthing center.  That and the almost hour wait to even be seen made me super happy to be going where we are. He examined me so quickly and said hardly anything to us - felt so much less personal.  And what he did say was that I am too small and need to have a growth ultrasound to rule out IUGR. Well he didn't even say that, he just wrote it on a piece of paper and said to give it to the midwives. Driving home, I was quite the mess. He thought my baby might be IUGR! If that turned out to be true, I would feel like quite the failure as a dietitian if I couldn't even feed my baby enough. 
So this week I started tracking my protein and calories, counting baby's movements (which I was supposed to start this week anyway). All of that, along with my weight gain still seemed to be on track. Intuitively I felt everything should be fine, or that at least I am doing what I should. But I couldn't help worrying. I started having dreams this week that I had my baby and kept forgetting to feed her (like a baby would really let you forget). 

Week 32

Back to the midwife today. I measured at 29 weeks. So they think we should go ahead and do the growth ultrasound just to make sure everything is fine.  They said that it most likely is since baby's heartbeat is good, she is moving lots, and I am gaining weight- but that since uterus measurements have slowed in growth we should check to make sure it isn't anything else.  My ultrasound appointment is this Thursday. 
Baby is still oblique, though the midwife said her head is definitely more down than last time, which is good. 

I am so excited to meet this little girl.  Only 8-ish weeks left! 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I hope everything goes okay with your ultrasound! Often it's just a case of "everyone grows differently," which is something you encounter both before and after birth. Let us know how it goes!

I have no experience with cloth diapers, but we're big fans of Maclaren strollers. Great quality and super lightweight, which makes them easier to use and carry around. We've always used the Volo, which is the bottom of the line and doesn't recline, so that one's better for babies who can hold their heads up, but the Quest and Triumph recline and work for smaller babies and, from what I've seen from friends who have those models, they're also really great. You can buy last year's models of Maclaren strollers new-in-the-box on ebay for a fraction of the price you pay in the store. (New Volos on ebay cost about $60; in the store they're about $120.)

As for baby carriers, I'm a totally converted fan of the Ergo. I would not be able to get around anywhere without mine -- completely worth every penny, in my opinion. They're great because they allow you to carry the weight in your hips rather than your back.

Maren said...

For cloth diapers, my favorites are SunBaby and Flip. I have a couple BumGenius and FuzziBunz pockets and I like them just fine, but they are so expensive. SunBaby is run by a Chinese mom in Shanghai and is basically the same as BG and FB but for $5ish each instead of $17ish.

Flip is great for the diaper bag since you can reuse the shell and just replace the insert. They even have disposable inserts that you can buy. Cloth diapers fill up a diaper bag really fast so I appreciate them. They're more economical as well, since you can get a day pack of 2 covers and 6 inserts for $50.

I also have a couple of Happy Heinys and Econobums and they're okay. I've only used one size pocket and hybrid diapers, so I can't speak for the sized ones like you got off of Freecycle or for AIOs. We just used disposables for the first month to let him bulk up to fit the diapers. We started him around 8 pounds and had no problem with leakage or anything. Also, if you're into BumGenius or Flip keep an eye on the Cotton Babies' website clearance section for occasional good deals.

Are you planning on using cloth wipes as well? I haven't gotten that brave yet, but I do make my own instead of buying them. Commercial ones don't agree with my baby's skin. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2011/10/19/how-to-make-homemade-natural-baby-wipes/

As for baby carriers, I am into wraps and slings. I have a ring sling that is easy to stash in my diaper bag and that I like for shorter trips, although I wore him in it for about 4 hours yesterday. I got mine online from Second Womb Slings. I just today got my first woven fabric wrap (!) and it was love at first wear. It's a zara size 6 (4.7 meters--they suggest beginners start with really long wraps to be able to learn more carries).

I would have loved to have been gifted a Moby or similar stretchy wrap for the newborn period, but to me it wasn't worth buying myself to only wear for a couple of months. I hear newborns love them, though. Wraps and slings are nice because they kind of mimic the womb environment and are supposed to make baby feel more secure in their new life. I think meitais look like nice carriers too.

I know nothing about strollers since we still don't have one. Sorry for the novel...

Carissa and Jeff said...

Wow! You guys are getting close! So exciting!!! I have no suggestions on baby products as almost everything we have was given to us (used-we're not that spoiled;). Your Dr. experience sounds awful. I had a wonderful Dr. experience in China. I hope they're not all like that in the States!