Monday, January 4, 2010

Hot Pot (火锅)

Photobucket
Last week I experienced hot pot (火锅 - pronounced "huo guo") for the first time. Eric has told me about it every since we first started dating but we had never gone yet together. So we were super excited when Flagship (Eric's program) announced that they would be treating us last week for New Years. (yeah, I am a little behind on posting...) It was so much fun! Except for my qualms about the food safety factor (sorry, I can't help it, that's what all my dietetics classes did to me!) it was great. Usually I guess there is a huge pot in the middle of the table but at this place you choose your flavor of broth which boils on a hot plate in front of you. Then the servers pile plates of raw meat and veggies in the middle of the table. Then the fun begins!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Basically, you choose the meat and veggies you want, plop it in your little hot pot and wait for it to cook. This is where my food safety fears came in- that and the fact that people use the same chopsticks to pick up the raw meat as they do to eat it. But I made myself not think about it (though I did ask for an extra pair of chopsticks) and just enjoyed the experience.

PhotobucketThis is Eric cooking some shrimp. Yum!

PhotobucketAnd these are noodles. Aren't they pretty?!

It was fun being with all our Flagship friends and the food was great!
Happy New Years everyone!

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Yeah, maybe not the most sanitary. But I loved it when I went with Eric a while back. We always wanted to go back and never did. I don't know if there are any places around here that do that. If there are, they're probably far into Houston. Oh well! Fun times! Glad to hear y'all got the package! Enjoy!