Monday, January 11, 2010

Friends and Babies in China

The last few days we’ve been able to have our friends- the Hutchings- stay with us. Justin is in the same program as Eric is but is going to be starting this month at Nanjing University. They flew in from America late Friday night. Remembering how horrible our first night in China was (you can go back and read Eric’s post on that if you want) we did everything we could to help make it a little smoother for them. It’s been fun seeing them experience China for the first time and remembering all of our first impressions. We have really gotten used to things here; I forget that it’s different sometimes! It’s been especially interesting walking around with them because they have a 3 month old baby, Jamie Lynn. Every Chinese person we pass (and you tend to pass a lot of those walking down the streets of Nanjing) stops and stares and then all of the older Chinese ladies feel that they need to make some sort of comment or another to Justin and Jodi. Usually it is that they haven’t piled enough clothes on the baby. The Chinese definitely bundle their kids up- sometimes I have a hard time telling if there is a baby underneath that marshmallow of clothes and blankets. One time I saw a baby in a stroller who was so bundled up that she couldn’t even sit down in the stroller- she was sticking out so far in front of the stroller that it looked like she was standing straight up! I really admire Jodi- she takes all of the swarms of Chinese ladies like a pro.

Anyways, welcome to China Justin and Jodi!!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

The need to tell other parents how to take care of their children is not unique to older Chinese ladies (unfortunately). It's a pretty universal (and apparently irresistible) urge. I know I get it all the time walking through our neighborhood, and I imagine that, one day, no matter where you're living, you'll get it, too. Like your friend, you learn to just take it in stride, but even so, sometimes it's hard to remember that you're your child's mother and you really do know them best.