Thursday, December 10, 2009

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

Photobucket
The tree’s up, the stockings are hung, and the smell of gingerbread cooking fills the house. It must be Christmas time! This is definitely my most favorite time of year as I’m sure it is for most people. I was so excited and a little surprised to see how many Christmas decorations are around the city. The malls are decked out like in America- huge Christmas trees, lights, and even Santas. Eric was very curious to see whether they would have Chinese Santas or who they would find to play Santa. So far we have only seen one- but he was definitely Chinese. And no attempt was made to make him look old. It was funny to see. But all the little kids crowding around didn't seem to mind or even to notice. The big red suit is enough for them I guess!

Even though the city and malls look like Christmas, it is definitely still different than being in American malls at this time of year. No huge, stressed out crowds, trying to all do their last minute Christmas shopping at the same time. Quite nice, actually.

Even with all the Christmas stuff around, Eric and I opted to do all homemade decorations for our tree this year. the ornaments we did find were a bit tacky looking and not that cheap) So I got to do something I've always wanted to try- string a popcorn garland! Very time consuming but it was fun. We strung the popcorn while listening to 'The Mansion' and 'The Other Wise Man' by Henry Van Dyke. (A definite must read for Christmas time by the way!)

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I love it!! The tree looks great. Cole and I tried the popcorn thing our first year too. fun!