However it was definitely fascinating to see the images and see how her little bones are formed. Some of her fingers have fused bones, some are side by side bones, but with fused skin. One particularly interesting thing was that her left foot has polydactyly - an extra toe! Or at least the bones inside for an extra toe that never emerged. This extra bone is slanted though and pushing on her big toe, which already sticks out pretty far on the side.
Rua's feet
Rua's left hand
Rua's right hand (couldn't get this picture to upload the rotated version). Her fingers are overlapping so it's hard to really see them.
Which leads to the doctor's plan of action. He suggested that we have surgery done to remove this extra bone so that it won't continue to push on her big toe and push it even further to the side. He also said another optional surgery would be to remove her little finger on her right hand. This finger comes off of one of her other two fingers on that hand. It has a bone inside but is a floppy, useless finger. He said that there is a possibility that it could get in her way as she continues to grow and use her hands. But he left that completely up to us.
We agreed on the surgery for her foot, that seemed to be a no-brainer. But that cute little finger! We haven't really decided on that yet. It doesn't seem to bother her at all now, and I hate the thought of removing any part of her.
So we went ahead and scheduled surgery for October 15. Soon, I know! We wouldn't have done it for several months probably if we hadn't found out that she has a hernia that will need surgery to repair. This needed to be done in the next month or two and we figured that we would prefer to cut down on the general anesthesia that she has to get if possible. The surgeries will be done right after the other and will be outpatient. Recovery is supposed to be pretty easy, here's hoping.
Although these are minor surgeries and needed ones, it is still a scary thing to think of sending your child off alone to have surgery. What if something went wrong? What if she is scared when they take her away from me? What if she is in a ton of pain afterwards (they tell me it won't be too bad)?
I will be glad when Oct 15 is come and gone for sure.





6 comments:
Thanks for the update! Our bodies are incredible. And so cool that she hasn't let it stop her. Praying for her that it is quick and complication free.
I will come and sit with you all day that if you need me to. It's so scary when your baby is hurting. Whatever your family needs you let me know.
I will come and sit with you all day that if you need me to. It's so scary when your baby is hurting. Whatever your family needs you let me know.
Sitting for x-rays is no fun when you want to wiggle! We are also planning minor surgery with general anesthesia for E so I share your fears about it. Rua will do great. She is a beautiful, happy girl and we'll keep you guys in our prayers next month. I want to meet her and Abby sometime!
Sitting for x-rays is no fun when you want to wiggle! We are also planning minor surgery with general anesthesia for E so I share your fears about it. Rua will do great. She is a beautiful, happy girl and we'll keep you guys in our prayers next month. I want to meet her and Abby sometime!
Sitting for x-rays is no fun when you want to wiggle! We are also planning minor surgery with general anesthesia for E so I share your fears about it. Rua will do great. She is a beautiful, happy girl and we'll keep you guys in our prayers next month. I want to meet her and Abby sometime!
Post a Comment