Our Abby girl is one! We had a lot of fun celebrating this amazing little girl.
The Saturday before her birthday we had a group birthday party with our playgroup friends. The babies were all born within about a month of each other (except for little Riley who was born in September), so we celebrated everyone's birthday at once.
The mammas and their babies.
We had tons of food, the babies got to run around and play, we got to chat with the other parents - it was great. The party was a pool party and Abby went swimming for the first time. You can tell from her face that she thought it was just okay. That was how she looked pretty much the whole time. The other babies were laughing and splashing but Abby only cracked a couple smiles the whole time.
Noel made this great watermelon 'cake' for the kids. I loved it. So did Abby, she couldn't stay away from it. She devoured quite a bit of that pretty cake! I will definitely do this type of idea for other birthdays, I think it's so fun!
We had some real cake for the babies to dive into as well. Well, sort of real. These mammas had their different requirements and I had to try to fit that all into a cupcake and still make it taste good. So we had some sugar free (all fruit sweetened), egg-free, dairy free cupcakes. These requirements were also for the frosting - it was a sweet potato, fruit puree, cocoa frosting. Interesting is all I have to say. Quite the experiment. Didn't really taste like a cupcake but it wasn't bad. And the babies all loved it!
Abby and Brooke sharing their cupcakes. By share I mean Abby walked off with Brooke's cupcake.
All the babies. Abby is obviously not too happy about this photo shoot.
Riley, Sebastian, Brooke, Abby, William
Still not happy. But pretty cute.
On her actual birthday, we kept it a simple day with just us. Abby and I went to the beach to play in the sand, something she loves to do. Since she hates the water right now, I got to keep her in her pretty birthday dress the whole time. :)
Abby unwrapping her first birthday present. She got her very first set of beach toys!
Isn't she beautiful!?
Watching a helicopter go by.
Just being cute.
After the beach and a nap, Abby got some quality rock time. Another favorite past-time of hers.
Then played with lots of birthday balloons. She had fun with them, but didn't get as excited as I thought she would. I guess we'll try again next year.
She got a bottle of bubbles for her birthday so she played bubbles with Daddy
After her birthday dinner of sweet potato curry, it was cake time. Now, I spent way too much time analyzing how I felt about the whole birthday cake thing. I really cringed at the idea of giving my baby girl a sugar filled, butter filled non-nutritious glob of cake just because that is the tradition, when she has been perfectly content up to this point not having sweets. But at the same time, I don't want to completely forbid sweets as she grows up because I want her to learn that there are no 'bad' foods and it's ok to have sweets in balance. But she is so little, why should I have to give her something like that now? Eric can tell you that I went back and forth on this a lot. He got a little sick of it, I think. I was just about to make a watermelon cake but he finally piped in and said that we didn't make a cake for either of our birthdays (this is true) so we should have a cake for Abby's. So I consented. But I still couldn't bring myself to make a completely unhealthy cake. I made a banana blueberry cake with a cream cheese whipped cream frosting. The only sugar was a little in the frosting (the cake had a lot of bananas to sweeten it). And it was yummy! Tasted more like banana bread than cake, but it was good.
But, of course, I really shouldn't have stressed so much. Why? Abby didn't eat a bite of cake. She tasted some frosting and then handed her cake to me. Oh well.
I also made a berry frozen yogurt which she liked much better. See how happy she is after eating her yogurt!
And now she is one! What a fun day we had with her!
No comments:
Post a Comment