Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Birthdays

We celebrated my birthday last Friday!  I turned 28 this year which according to my little sister, is 'old.' I don't feel old though, so we will just forget that.

I love birthdays and really any holiday, and this was definitely a fun one. Thanks to my super sweet husband. In the days leading up to my birthday he kept telling me that Abby was planning my birthday so I was excited to see what she had come up with. :) Eric took over cooking for the day, starting with cutting a mango for our morning yogurt.  Abby and I then spent part of the day at the zoo with our friend Sam and the other part of the day was spent by Abby sleeping an extra long nap (2 1/2 hours!!), which was definitely a good birthday present.

Eric came home a little early from work, shut me out of the kitchen, and cooked up a storm.  It was smelling amazing, but he wouldn't tell me what he was making.

He surprised me with a completely Indonesian meal.  I have never even made anything Indonesian (don't ask me why) so it was definitely a treat.  And it was delicious!  


After dinner we left Abby asleep with a babysitter (yay!) and went dancing at Balboa Park.  It was a ballroom dancing lesson/dance which we have done once before and really enjoyed.  It was so nice to be out on our own like that.  

We came home too tired to make the Indonesian dessert Eric had planned so we shelved that for another night and enjoyed the yummy cake our babysitter and good friend Sam had brought over for me.  

Yay for birthdays!


Our attempt at making martabak manis (a sweet thick pancake-like dessert with chocolate and peanuts) a couple days later.  Didn't quite turn out... but still so fun!  And brought back memories!

(me celebrating my last birthday in Indonesia, with martabak manis)